Council approves 2014 budget process
City Council today approved the 2014 proposed budget process and timetable to develop draft operating and capital budgets for the City of Ottawa.
“This approved process and timetable is a roadmap to help us meet our budget targets while ensuring an informed and transparent process that will engage citizens and be respectful of their dollars,” said Mayor Jim Watson.
The 2014 budget process will commence immediately with on-line and social media consultation opportunities for residents to submit their budget priorities. In addition to the on-line consultation and any ward consultations that may be conducted by individual Councillors, this year’s budget process offers fifteen opportunities for the public to provide input at city-wide public consultation meetings and at budget meetings for standing committees, boards and commissions.
2014 Budget Process and Timetable
Wednesday, June 12
Council approval of 2014 budget process and timetable; and launch of Mayor’s budget public consultation e-mail address email@example.com and Twitter hashtag #ottbudget.
Wednesday, October 23
– Tabling of 2014 draft operating and capital budgets.
– Monday, October 28 – East District, Shenkman Centre (7:00pm-9:00pm)
– Tuesday, October 29 – West District, Holy Trinity Catholic High School (7:30pm-9:30pm)
– Wednesday, October 30 – South District, Nepean Sportsplex, Hall A (7:00pm-9:00pm)
– Thursday, November 7- Central District, City Hall, Andrew Haydon Hall (7:00pm-9:00pm)
Committee / Commission / Board budget meetings
– Tuesday, November 5 Finance an Economic Development Committee
– Wednesday, November 6 Transportation Committee
– Thursday, November 7 Agriculture and Rural Affairs Committee
– Tuesday, November 12 Planning Committee
– Monday, November 18 IT Sub-committee
– Monday, November 18 Public Health Board
– Tuesday, November 19 Environment Committee (tax and rate supported)
– Wednesday, November 20 Transit Commission
– Thursday, November 21 Community and Protective Services Committee
– Thursday, November 21 Ottawa Public Library
– Monday, November 25 Police Services Board
Wednesday, November 27
– Council consideration of 2014 draft tax and rate supported budget.
Beginning today, residents are encouraged to e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or use the Twitter hashtag #ottbudget to submit cost saving ideas and budget priorities for consideration.
For further information please visit ottawa.ca/budget2014.